Thursday, February 7, 2008

A breath of stale hair

I used to wonder why women took so much pains
in trying to be as hairless as possible.

I really did.

Facial hair:
Removing those I understand.
Facial hair is manly,
the human equivalent of a lions mane.

But I thought -
Why do they have a problem with body hair?
the one's on thier legs, forearms, even armpits.
It's hardly anything
or barely something-
which really,
is just splitting hairs.

Well...

Last night at the book store, I saw a 6'3 man in a -

blond wig and high-heeled shoes
and a
poofy-sleeved blouse and knee-lenght skirt
and a
pearl necklace and red clutch purse.

Besides the broad, meaty, quarter-back shoulders,
the one-to-one, waist-to-hip ratio,
his shoebox jaw and side-burns,

he looked decent, even chic - a handsome girl waiting for a date.

Truly a vision
as they say,
to haunt, to startle and waylay.

That was all before I saw his forearms
looked like a furry animal crawled under his sleeves
and was holding on for dear life.

Now, I'm no male-chauvinist.
I'm all for feminists and their cause
and I don't think anyone should be obligated
to look a certain way to be validated as what they are.
But to those women who choose
to shave
and wax
and pluck,

I get it, I sincerly do.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol at the guy in d book store!thanx for stopping by mine!as to ur question!!yes i'll hold ur hand!!

Unknown said...

I'm a guy that has lots body hair (bad luck). I wish they would vanish but I haven't done anything extreme except shave my chin everyday. I think I will look older if I let the fucking beards grow. Vain! I know.

Jaja said...

Women should wax.. must wax..
From the upper lip on their faces to the lower lips down there. Yes.

As for guys, they may do as they like. Am moderately hairy... Havn't shaved in weeks...

Plus I think that guy you described would scare me...

uknaija said...

Laughing my head off... I think the women shaving thing doesn't necessarily apply in Naija though...remember some friends who thought it was really sexy

Spook E said...

@pink-satin: and you know what's more, I'll hold your hand too :). Lets kum-ba-ya, shall we?

@olu: I say body hair is great luck, keep it. And ummm, though I sometimes say otherwise, I'm as vain as they come.

@jaja: oh he wouldn't scare you at all, I'm almost certain of that. I remember being slightly embarrassed. Isn't that crazy?

@uknaija: I've been conditioned to respond to hairless Homo sapiens as at least, part female so...me thinks there are a whole lota people in Nigeria who I'd mistake for men. Funny, I never paid attention to the hair situation when I lived in Nigeria.

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

You beast.. but yes I agree women with hair just don't work.

BlackGirl said...

@Jaja (if he comes back to read this...)

Women should wax... Have you ever tried to wax anything off your body? Go through one session and let me know if you'll revise that comment. Cau.