Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Let them entertain us

I'd spend a bit more time on this particular blog entry but I've got a few minutes before the start of class and I want to get this out there or I'll probably get lazy and not do it.

Did anyone watch the South Carolina debates last night between Clinton and Obama? If you didn't, you missed a helluva show. I thought they were going to fight - and I don't mean the usual battle of wits like we're used to from these uppity aristocratic types, I mean a full-out I'ma-kick-your-ass-with-this-shoe-on-my-foot, mano-a-womano smack-down. I really did. I thought at some point, Obama was going to step off his podium, walk over to Hillary and fire a fat loogie in her general direction and Clinton would reply with a deft left hook to the right jaw and the rest would be pay-per-view history.

I used to say to myself - Obama and Clinton seem to have risen above the fray, they have transcended the usual dirty politics... no mis-characterizing ads yet and they've been relatively respectful of each other and the positions they each represent. Maybe they do genuinely represent this so-called "change" they've been hawking for about a year now. Then last night happened. Now I say to myself, FUCK the "woe is me, I'm a woman, how can you not see how awesome I am" campaign Hillary is running and FUCK the "I'm for change, change is me, me is change, change I am, change. change. change." campaign Obama is sticking to, they are politicians and inherently evil, insufferably despicable, and alas, tragically necessary. I would just appreciate a little more honesty from both of them. More of this savagery and less of the other, more demure, "classy" politicking. This kind is by far more entertaining and at the end of the day, isn't it all for and about our entertainment?

PS
The other dude...

PSS
Whats his name?...

PSSS
ah yes, Edwards.

PSSSS
whats his deal anyway?

2 comments:

BlackGirl said...

I find political debates painful to watch. It's not a low entertainment value thing, just a low tolerance for the bucket-loads of BS one has to listen to. We have a bloated system of government and truly good and revolutionary reforms are hard to pass. Hillary knows a thing or two about that.... Anyhoos, I kvetch but I always vote.

Spook E said...

Soooo true. that's why the whole "change" campaign has got me rolling my eyes non stop. My thing is if you're going to try selling me all that "change" bull shit, you better put on a damn good show about it and keep me entertained.