Friday, January 18, 2008

Spoken word

Hey everyone.

So a couple of posts ago I recounted my adventures at a certain gay meeting and posted a couple of videos from a spoken word artist who perform at that meeting. Since that time, I've been searching and listening to all kinds of videos and audio clips of spoken word poetry and I've got to tell you all, this art form, this medium of activism and story telling with words and rhythm is spell binding. I wish I could do it. Everytime I listen to a clip of something powerful or clever I wish I could've done it first. I say to myself: "that's so true" or "I was just thinking the same thing a week...or a month...or year ago" only I didn't string my thoughts together in such an inspired way. It's got to be some kind of talent, it's just got to be.

Here are a few of my favorites...it's so hard to narrow them down.

BASSEY IKPI..."Homeword" ...for a little nostalgia. I also like from her "Apology To My Unborn"


"Yellow Rage"...They're so angry, it's funny. Don't listen if you don't like cursing (but if you've read this blog, I know you don't mind).


SUHEIR HAMMAD...Well, she's just brilliant isn't she.

2 comments:

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

"Fuck you! What the fuck do you know about being Asian?" -- I absolutely love that line.

Yellow Rage ROCKS.

Spook E said...

YUP! "Yellow Rage" does rock although I couldn't help thinking if either one of them had actually lived through or been affected by the napalm colonialism and all that west-inflicted pain. A tad too young to be so angry n'est pas?