Thursday, January 17, 2008

Of the under-learned

"we were in this garden and we were so inspired by these wonderful botanicals ...."

Heard that gem on TV and had to write it down for...for...umm...well, for future reference. Think of it, how many times have you ever heard the word "botanical" used outside of a science classroom or a shampoo ad? My guess is never. Except if you're like me, then you've heard it used by your 11 year old cousin who you babysit a couple of times a week and who manages to make you feel slightly dumber than the last time you were with him because he "expectorates" when you ask him not to spit in the kitchen sink and promptly sets you straight for thinking "niggardly" was a "bawdy" word when it simply means "frugal" or "penurious". But even he, in all his nerdidom, has never seen "botanicals" where there was a beautiful garden to be admired.

Now one might think the person I'm refering to was trying a bit too hard to show off a little more of their scholarship than they possessed, but I disagree. I like people like this; people who can razzle dazzle with words and phrases and stop you dead in your tracks with their constructions. They remind me to look at the English language with renewed respect and awe because try as I may to master proper English from the so called masters of the language, it is always those who dare to tresspass beyond the forgivable that keep me interested.

Word of the day: Toothsome, only because I thought it had something to do with teeth. It means delicious or luscious like a tasty meal or a sexy, handsome, adonis of a man or woman like me.

PS: I've been around, just uninspired that's all.

5 comments:

Naijadude said...

dis guy u are crazy ooh... I love oyinbo masters too

Where's my xmas phone call??

Jaja said...

nerdidom

I am tired of telling how mad you are. I ve got to look for something more creative to say...

Unknown said...

Now you have taken "big grammar" to another level. This just makes remember my crazy professor whose course I can't seem to pass *shrug*. Nothing do me! Keep them write-ups coming, I am loving them.

Spook E said...

@niajadude: you're still talking christmas? Dude, it's 2008 lol. If i'm going to call, it got to be like a 5 min conversation coz it's 25cents a min, i'm cheap.

@jaja: take your time jaja, I'm a lot of things; mad being one of them. but as soon as you get it i want to be the first to know. I'll have to write it down.

@olu: lol. My dad was such a pain in the ass when it came to speaking proper English. I remember, I must've been about 6 years old, telling him that the Nigerian soccer team had just won a crucial match. I ran out of the house to greet him yelling "We won them! We won them!" and he damn near slapped me in the face.

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

Your like a walking dictionary.